Called to the Bar of British Columbia on February 10, 1982
Education:B.A. (History, Honours) 1977, Queens University
L.L.B. 1980, UBC
Professional Experience:1980 - 1981 Law Clerk - B.C. Court of Appeal
1981 - 1990 Articled student, Associate and Partner at Davis & Company, now Davis LLP
1990 - 1996 Partner, Alexander Holburn Beaudin & Lang, now Alexander Holburn Beaudin & Lang LLP
1996 - Present Partner, Gregory & Gregory
George greatly enjoys woodworking and is passionate about singing a capella four-part close harmony (mostly Barbershop). George sings lead in a seniors’ barbershop quartet, Fossil Fuel. In 2014, Fossil Fuel won both the Barry Smorenburg memorial trophy and the Barbershop Harmony Society’s Evergreen District Senior’s quartet championship.
Called to the Bar of British Columbia on September 25, 1987
Education:B.A. (History), 1978 and M.A. (History), 1980, UBC
Completion of Professional Development Program (Secondary Education), 1982, SFU
LL.B., 1986, UBC
Mediation training through course work in the Conflict Resolution Program, Justice Institute of B.C. (1996) and completion of Small Claims Court Mediation Program in 1999
Professional Experience:1986 to 1987 Articled student at Bull Housser & Tupper, now Bull Housser & Tupper LLP
Between 1987 and 1996, and before forming Gregory & Gregory, Eleanor worked as a freelance legal researcher, writer and editor, public policy consultant and as an associate with two law firms.
- Editor and Legal Writer, B.C. Weekly Law Digest (1988-1990), and B.C. Law Reports (1988-1990), Carswell
- Legal Researcher, Editor and Writer, Land Title Practice Manual, 1990-1991 revision (CLE and Interact Public Policy Consultants Ltd.)
- Co-author with George of two annotated statutes, The Annotated British Columbia Insurance (Motor Vehicle) Act, 1990-1997 (Carswell), and The Annotated British Columbia Local Government Act, 1997 (formerly The Annotated British Columbia Municipal Act), 2001-2004, 2005-2006 (with Roddy MacKenzie (Western Legal Publications)
- Co-author of several articles with clients and as a law firm associate at McQuarrie Hunter, now McQuarrie Hunter LLP, and Lidstone Young Anderson, now Young Anderson
- Author and co-author of various CLE course materials
Since 1996, Eleanor has practiced in partnership with George. She also provides legal research support and public policy research to lawyers outside the firm and to public bodies. She has served on administrative tribunals, was elected to the Vancouver School Board, is an elected representative for Vancouver to the Provincial Council of the Canadian Bar Association (B.C. Branch) (CBABC) and is an active volunteer with the CBABC.
- In 1999, Eleanor co-authored a proposal to the Law Society of British Columbia for a fee mediation program
- In 2001, she was involved in preparing a model compliance manual on the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) Act for the Law Society of British Columbia
- Between 2002 and 2005, she served as a member of the British Columbia Employment and Assistance Appeal Tribunal, and in 2004 to 2005, she served as a member of the British Columbia Property Assessment Review Panel
- Since 2002, she has been an active member and volunteer with the CBABC. She served on the Government Relations Committee between 2002 and 2005, and again in 2012 to 2013. She has served on the Legislation and Law Reform Committee since 2010, and in June 2015 completed her 4-year term as Chair of that committee.
- She was elected to the Vancouver School Board in 2005 and served one term until 2008.
- Between 2008 and until the program’s last show on August 5, 2012, Eleanor was a regular political panelist on the weekly radio show Public Eye Online, broadcast by CFAX1070 (Victoria) and hosted by Sean Holman.
- Eleanor has been active in her community over the years as a volunteer with the Vancouver Heritage Foundation and in her neighbourhood with Project Green Bloc a group of Vancouverites aiming to lower their ecological footprint through individual and collective action.
A complete list of George’s and Eleanor’s publications appears under the heading “Publications”